Friday, January 22, 2010

Oprah, you've disappointed me

I recently came across a Facebook group banding together against Oprah because on one of her shows she said that it would be fine to tip 10% while dining out because of the poor economy. Let me just say, no matter what state the economy is in, tipping less is not the answer (unless you've just been an obscene tipper). If you have never waited tables, it is not easy. Servers work very, very hard. No, it's not challenging mentally, but it requires someone to be on their toes, be aware of every one's needs, and to have the stomach to deal with the complainers (that's really the hardest part). I have waited tables during the off seasons for 3 years, and let me tell you, every dollar I make is well earned. Servers make less than $3 an hour before taxes! So tips are their income. Also, servers normally must tip out a percentage of their sales to bartenders/hosts/kitchen/table bussers. So if someone comes in and tips me 10% I have to tip out 3%, so I've made 7%. Normally, someone sits at a table for at least an hour. Say their tab is $40, I've just made $2.80 for an hour! Woohoo, take that straight to the bank. Not only did I make $2.80, but you just took up a table from someone that could have been a great tipper. Then, there are those people that tip nothing at all and then I literally have to pay to wait on them. Yes, if you do not tip your server, they still have to pay that tip out. Now I'm not saying that a server always deserves 20%, but if you've had good service, not had to wait on anything, then you need to tip adequately. Just imagine waiting on 12 people at once, all needing refills, ranch, more napkins, etc. all at different times. Also, look around you. If your server is extremely busy because maybe someone called in and their section is double what it's supposed to be, but they are truly working as hard as they can to take care of everyone, make sure you're aware of that. There have been times during Razorback football games that I have been waiting on over 100 people by myself. If people follow Oprah's policy, all of the good servers are going to leave the industry, everyone is going to get bad service, or restaurants will have to raise prices to compensate and pay the servers more. Neither of which is good, so just tip accordingly for the service you are given.

No comments: